De Havilland designed the DH.51 as an economical touring biplane.
This aircraft was fitted with an ADC Airdisco Air-cooled V8 piston engine, which considerably improved performance but was no longer cheap to operate. As a result, only three aircraft were built. The first aircraft was fitted with single-bay wings and was designated the DH.51A. It was exported to Australia in 1927 and later converted to a floatplane as the DH.51B. It capsized in Sydney Harbour in January 1931. The second aircraft was used in Britain until it was scrapped in 1933. The third aircraft was exported to Kenya in 1929. It returned to Britain in 1965 and is still in use today.
Dh51 in "Aircraft Transport & Travel Ltd" livery.
Photo by Snapshooter46 Flickr Copyright license link
Photo above: Avro 548 (maybe G-AUBK), converted from Avro 504. First plane to land on Maroochydore Beach, 1922. aviation aircraft airplane