D & T Centre at Felsted School, dedicated to Major F.B. Halford CBE ,Prof R.H. Macmillan & Sir M.I. Prichard
The de Havilland Goblin the second British jet engine to fly (originally known as the Halford H-1 engine) was an early turbojet engine designed by Major Frank Halford (pictured left). It was the primary engine used on the de Havilland Vampire. John L. P. Brodie on the right met Frank at Arrol- Johnston in 1915 and Brodie was the first member of Halford's consultancy staff at Aircraft Disposal Company (London)1923.
Major Halford, Frank Bernard, CBE (1894-1955, OF 1907-1910): Youngest son of Harry Baker (estate agent) and Ethel Halford (née Grundy); born in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire. In 1913 he left the University of Nottingham before graduating in order to learn to fly at the Bristol Flying School at Brooklands, later becoming a flight instructor for Bristol. In 1914 he joined the Aeronautical Inspection Department of the War Office. On the outbreak of WWI he joined the Royal Flying Corps as Pilot where he fought at the front in France; Sgt RFC, Mention in Despatches twice and Major in the RAF, Inspector of Aeronautical Material, Aero Engine Designer since 1919. Recalled to engineering duties he improved and enlarged the water-cooled six-cylinder Austro-Daimler, producing the 230 hp (170 kW) Beardmore Halford Pullinger (BHP). This engine was further developed by Siddeley-Deasy as the Puma. Winner of World Speed Record for 500cc motorcycles 1921.
In 1922 he rode a 4-valve Triumph Ricardo in the Senior TT, finishing 13th. That same year he was commissioned to produce a luxury motorcycle for Vauxhall. Based on aero-engine principles, it featured an in-line unit construction four cylinder engine, with shaft drive to the rear wheel. Four examples were made, one exists in a private collection in the Isle of Man. Working for Airdisco, he redesigned the Puma engine as the Nimbus and also developed a V-8 engine based on the company's large stores of surplus Renault engine parts. There in 1924 he designed the first of the long-running Cirrus series at the request of de Havilland. In 1923 he set up his own consultancy in London, alongside the equally influential engine designer Harry Ricardo. From 1926 he designed the famous de Havilland Gipsy air-cooled inline engines, repeating the success of the Cirrus. During this period Frank Halford also designed and had built the AM Halford Special racing car which he raced at Brooklands in the 1926 RAC British Grand Prix, as well as in many other races in 1925 and 1926.
During the 1930s Halford and Harry Ricardo became interested in the sleeve valve as a method of increasing the allowable operating RPM and compression ratio of piston engines, thereby increasing the power from an otherwise smaller engine. From 1928 Halford worked with D. Napier & Son, eventually producing the Sabre, which became one of the most powerful piston aero engines built, producing 3,500 hp (2.6 MW) from only 2200 cubic inches (36 L) in late-war versions.
He was Chairman and Technical Director, de Havilland Engine Company. Silver Medal, R.Ae.S 1935. Silver Medal Royal Society of Arts 1946. CBE 1948. Designed the 230 B.H.P. aero-engine, 7000 of which were used by the RAF, also the ADC Cirrus, Nimbus and Airdisco, the de Havilland Gipsy and the Napier Rapier engines. Designed 215hp of DH Comet, which won Melbourne Air Race, Oct 1934. Designer of Gypsy Engine for the de Havilland Comet and Goblin the second British jet engine to fly (originally known as the Halford H-1 engine) was an early turbojet engine designed by Major Frank Halford (above pictured on the left). It was the primary engine used on the de Havilland Vampire. Designed Napier-Halford Sabre engines for Typhoon. In 1941 designed de Havilland Goblin jet engine as used in de Havilland Vampire fighters. In 1945 designed de Havilland Ghost jet engines fitted to the de Havilland Comet, the first jet air-liner.
During the war he became interested in jet engines, and designed a simplified version of Frank Whittle's centrifugal-flow designs with the air intake on the front and "straight-through" combustion chambers. Known initially as the Halford H.1, the project was undertaken for de Havilland who produced it as the de Havilland Goblin. Halford's company was eventually purchased outright by de Havilland in 1944. Halford continued working on jets, turboprop and rocket engines.